Thank you for your interest in my campaign to represent the people of Wisconsin’s 48th Assembly District that includes Madison’s north and east sides and the Village of Maple Bluff.
We are in the midst of an incredibly trying time. Over a 110,000 Americans have lost their lives to COVID-19. Millions more have shouldered an economic burden, that as a city, state, and country we will need to bear together.
We witnessed the barbaric murder of George Floyd by those who were sworn to protect him. But he is not alone. Breonna Taylor and many others have become American martyrs of systemically racist police practices and policies. In response, we saw a Madison united, a city that did not allow the actions of a few bad actors to distract from the ultimate message: Black Lives Matter.
There are bright spots. An enduring rainbow has finally formed over this country. The Supreme Court stated what we all knew: discrimination upon one's sexuality is un-Constitutional sex discrimination. Nonetheless, we must remain vigilant against homophobia and transphobia. There is a need for change. I make the following promises about where I seek to go.
- I will work to ensure our medical workers and first responders have the resources they need to conquer the COVID-19 pandemic.
- I will work to ensure law enforcement agencies are transparent and accountable by advocating for the implementation of body cameras, the development of use of force guidelines that keep everyone safe, and reform qualified immunity.
- I will work to properly fund programs that reduce the opioid epidemic and ensure mental health resources are readily available.
- I will work to ensure every family in Madison has access to a quality education and the opportunity to pursue the jobs they need to succeed. Specifically, sustaining funding for primary and secondary education, maintaining our higher education crown jewels - Madison College and the UW, and by removing unnecessary obstacles that prevent homeownership.
- I will work to support the growth of local businesses and ensure workers have a fair shake by protecting and improving the right to organize.
- I will work to expand Medicaid and ensure every Wisconsinite gets the federal health care dollars they need and to seek to reduce the cost of healthcare. Cost should never be a barrier to quality care.
- I will work to protect our elderly and vulnerable citizens and those who serve them.
- I will work to protect our environment - especially our waterways, and to work toward a more sustainable future.
I hope you will join me as I work to guide our path into the future. Walt Stewart Fit for the Fight.